News Posts List
Job Openings at the Community Music Center, Portland Parks & Recreation
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) seeks qualified instructors in the following positions starting October 2023:
At the Community Music Center (SE 33rd & Francis):
- Music Skills Instructor for youth group classes
- Woodwind Instructor for youth individual lessons
- Strings Instructor (violin/viola) for youth individual lessons
- Inclusive Music Therapy Instructor for youth or adults
In East Portland Outreach Locations*:
- Multi-Instrumentalists Instructor for youth lessons (any area of strings, winds, brass, guitar, piano)
- Music Technology/Production Instructor for youth
- Group Guitar and Ukulele Instructor for youth or adults
- Strings Instructors for youth individual lessons
- Choir Instructor for youth or adults
- String Ensemble Instructor for adults
- Band Instructor for adults
Shifts are generally weekdays during afterschool times, and depend on programs and enrollment. Wages are $30-35 per hour** to start, depending on education, training, and experience.
The positions are part-time/seasonal and require knowledge, and experience in, skill in teaching multiple ages and experience levels, excellent communication skills, and ability to be punctual, dependable, and work as part of a team.
Job duties include developing lesson plans & curriculum related to area of assignment based upon overall program objectives & guidelines; preparing materials for instructing lessons; monitoring participation & evaluating student progress; and consultations with students and/or parents/guardians as needed.
To apply, use this link:https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobs/3850853/recreation-employment-music-and-arts-centers-ages-18-open-continuous?keywords=arts%20&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs and apply for the Specialized Arts Instructor position specifying the Community Music Center as the location. IMPORTANT: be sure to read all the details in the online application form. Applications received by June 11, 2023 will be eligible for interview June 20-23, 2023.
For more information about the Community Music Center, see www.communitymusiccenter.org
* Involves work with partner groups at satellite locations for underserved communities and at-risk youth and teens, such as the Center Powered by Y.O.U.th (www.youthpdx.org) at SE 162nd & Stark.
**Wages were recently raised to these levels and will be in effect July 1; the application form was posted prior to the new wage approval so it still contains the older, outdated rates.